Sunday, August 24, 2014

"Don't go to downtown Durham at night or YOU WILL GET MURDERED."

No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Literally, those words were said to me multiple times this week.

Someone also described Durham as being the "armpit of North Carolina" to me.

^^ Aaaaand I got this snapchat from my brother 
shortly after my arrival.

But if this is North Carolina's armpit, then North Carolina must be Beyonce.
You smell what I'm steppin' in?


First off, THE FOOD.

^^ Guys, Bojangles. This place is a quarter of a mile 
from my apartment and it is the best/worst thing to 
ever happen to me.

 ^^ Dame's chicken and waffles. And MAC N CHEESE. 

 ^^ We celebrated Mom's birthday at Bull City Burger and Brewery


^^ The burgers were HUGE


Second, THE CAMPUS.

^^ Duke Chapel. The waiting list to get married here is like 2 years!

^^ It is literally made of castles. CASTLES.


Third, THE GARDENS.
(Technically part of the campus, but whatevs)











And lastly, THE PEOPLE.

Guys, southern hospitality is a real thing. Examples:

On our way into North Carolina, some guy at a gas station saw our car packed full and asked if I was going back to school. We chatted for a few minutes and he then spent about 15 minutes explaining some routes that we could take that would help us avoid traffic and get us there faster. It probably didn't save us any time in the long run but the fact that he was willing to stop and talk to us about it was just great.

I stopped not one but two different women on their runs here in Durham to ask for directions. I get so lost every time I go out because there are no landmarks (this is what I get for living near the ocean and/or mountains my entire life) and the entire city is covered in thick dense trees that hide everything. Both women took about five minutes to give me really good directions and ask me if I wanted to run hills or in the forest or in neighborhoods and then gave me several different route options.

THE ULTIMATE. Until yesterday I had no furniture in my house. On my run yesterday I passed a garage sale and decided to check it out to see if they had any decent couches for sale. Turns out they were selling everything in the house (the tenant had passed away so they were getting rid of all the furniture and everything else in the house). Not only did they give me a killer price (a sofa, armchair, two end tables and a mirror all for $200), they offered to deliver everything to my apartment so I didn't have to rent a truck! And when they delivered everything today, we talked all about the city and they gave me several recommendations for restaurants in the area. They left by saying "You've got our cell numbers so just give us a call if you ever need anything!" 

I mean, who does that?? I literally met them at a garage sale and they are hand delivering my furniture and treating me like I am an old friend!

Seriously, this place is awesome. Come visit me.

Also, classes start tomorrow so RIP Melissa.

Maybe you'll hear from me again at Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me so happy it looks so so beautiful! But uhm mostly you look good. Favorite dress. Also you better get ready for me, working on my apppp!

    ReplyDelete