Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Decision Time: Blue Devil or Colonial?

Today I had a blissful 90 seconds after receiving a call from Dr. Landry of the Doctor of Physical Therapy program at Duke University. Apparently, the faculty at Duke thought I would be a great addition to their program for the upcoming fall semester.

Great news, right?

Well, approximately one and a half minutes after hanging up the my call with Dr. Landry, I checked my email. There, I found the following in my acceptance email:

Please notify us of your decision to accept or decline your place in the Duke DPT Class of 2017 within 7 days of receipt of this email.

In addition, a non-refundable deposit of $1000.00 must accompany your signed Acceptance Agreement to reserve your position in the class.


Craaaaaaap.

For those of you who don't know, I have been putting off deciding on and committing to a physical therapy program. Here is the thing. I already have two deposits down at two other schools (Rocky Mountain University in Provo and George Washington University in D.C.) And these deposits, though not $1000 like Duke, were not cheap. And naturally. They. Too. Are. NONREFUNDABLE.

Luckily, I have parents who seem to think they are going to fall apart in their old age, and see my schooling as an investment so I can take care of them later in life. Thanks, Mom & Dad.

I think Rocky Mountain is out. But the other two... gosh I just can't seem to decide.

So let's get down to it.





My list of pros and cons so far:

Duke

Pros

  • BASKETBALL.
  • Aesthetically pleasing campus. Believe it or not, this was a huge reason I loved Duke.
  • Eight million dollar anatomy lab. Whaaaaaat? Apparently the PT program shares with the medical school, and you guys know how I love those cadavers... Rad!
  • They use a PASS/FAIL system for all of their assignments. This eliminates competition amongst students. Plus, I haven't ever failed anything that was pass/fail, so that's promising, right?
  • Cost of living in Durham is relatively inexpensive (rent is comparable to SLC). Believe it or not, I would actually be SAVING money by going to Duke than I would if I ended up at George Washington.
  • I have been told Durham is a "foodie town." I love food.
  • Weather = ok about 70% of the year. I will, however, say goodbye to looking halfway decent between the months of June-August.

Cons

  • The young single adult ward of the LDS church in Durham was not too promising.
  • It is in Durham, North Carolina... For those of you who didn't know this: Durham is not D.C.

George Washington

Pros

Cons

  • Extremely expensive.
  • Program is not pass/fail.
  • I will be poor.
  • They do not have an $8 million anatomy lab.
  • I will be paying off student loans forever.
  • Gets pretty dang cold in the winter.
  • Really expensive. Like, seriously.

I am the worst at making decisions. I really am. So I'm going to go about this in a very mature and professional manner...


4 comments:

  1. As someone who was set on someday moving to DC, I'm shocked to tell you I vote Duke.

    You heard right-I vote Duke!

    You'll be awesome either way, and I can't wait to hear all about your adventures-whichever you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duke, duh! Seems like you've already made up your mind. Better program. Better climate. Cost effective. You'll make friends. You're good at that. And if not, cadavers are great listeners. Plus DC is only 4 hr 20 min away.

    Also, H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y!! (It's past midnight in NYC.)

    PS: just do whatever you feel is right. You know, deep down in there. way deep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for Duke because half of the Buhler family lives in Raleigh (Durham and Raleigh are basically the same city) and you are part of the family!! We can see you all the time! Also, North Carolina is beautiful and you will love it!! Duke, fantastic school and we will go to all of the basketball games with you!!! (Reed will love to have a student who he can buy tickets from!! lol!!) HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! WE LOVE YOU!! (it's way past midnight in the Canaries!)

    ReplyDelete