Sunday, January 15, 2012

2011 in rewind


Because it is the new year, I thought a post summing up 2011 would be appropriate.

This year I:
Went to the Festival of Colors at the Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork, Utah

Tandem biked down the Provo River trail to Utah Lake and back

Lived in one of the most beautiful cities (at least in my opinion) in the world: Cuenca, Ecuador

I got to work with some of the most incredible children in the world
Including the world's cutest babies
Some were a little older...but equally great!
In Ecuador I enjoyed recreational activities such as:
Running on this beautiful river trail three times a week with the "running group"

Jumping into waterfalls

Wearing oh so cute harnesses to go ziplining

Purchasing and learning to play (sort of) a guitar

Playing soccer with (and usually getting slaughtered by) 10 year old Ecuadorian boys

And fearing for my life every time we got in this bus to drive anywhere (Ecuadorians are terrifying when it comes to the road)

I discovered that Ecuador had some great food to offer, such as burgers from El Carbonazo (two for one every Tuesday!)

While other foods weren't quite as delicious (cuy...aka Guinea pig, an Ecuadorian specialty)

I had the opportunity to visit the LDS Temple in Guayaquil, Ecuador...

and while in Guayaquil, I even stopped to fight with an iguana or two!

I bought some dank Amazon overalls and wore them to the sandy beach in JambelĂ­
And I also got to be the palest I've ever been in my entire life!

I finished up my trip to Ecuador by taking the scariest tiniest propellor plane to the Amazon basin where I:

hiked through the densest brush I've ever been in

took urban photos with the largest tree in the Amazon

swam in the Napo River with (sleeping) anacondas

Used a blowdart and hit the target on my first try

Enjoyed the Amazonian cuisine, including a live grub. This photo was taken shortly before I popped that nasty bug in my mouth.
For those of you who can't see it wiggling in my hand, here is a closer look:

After the Amazon trip I traveled to Quito on my way back to the states...

And I straddled the equator!


Upon returning home I reunited with some old friends,

Tried on a Lady GaGa wedding dress while thrifting with my sister,

And accidentally wore pretty much the exact same outfit as my friend, Kristen, did to church.

Then it was off to Mexico with my favorite people in the world!

We saw some ruins,

took some pictures,
And even got to climb to the very top of one of the towers!

We ate at yummy local restaurants that had delicious (but dangerous) food,

We met a little monkey (in my mom's hand) named Rango,

And we even visited a deserted island! In this picture, we (along with our guides) were the only ones there!

Then it was back to Provo, Utah for school!

I moved into a new apartment,

where I met one of my new best friends!
Shout out to Jess: I love you and miss you and this post came about largely due to your nagging!

I walked across a glacier while on my way up to the Mount Timpanogos summit!

I watched the sun rise from one of the highest mountains in Utah

I went roller skating and discovered I'm not great at it, but I still had a great time!

I planned a matching color shoe day or two with my roommates

I assisted in carving a pumpkin snowman for Halloween,

I dressed up as a mime,

and as Minnie Mouse for like the fifth year in a row!

I ran my second half marathon (the Halloween Half in Provo Canyon) with my roommate, Katie, and we dressed up as Batman. 1 hour 34 minutes baby!

I got several free t-shirts at BYU basketball games and cheered so loud I lost my voice.

I met Apa Sherpa, the man who holds the world record for the number of times he's climbed Everest!

I joined a band (sort of)

I made my very first gingerbread house

And I, along with my roommates, hosted a Classy Christmas Party!

I went to the beach...in December. I love California.

And I rang in the new year with a few of my favorite people at a dance party in Glendale.

2011 has been a most excellent year. Thank you to everyone in my life who made it great! I can't wait to see what 2012 has in store for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment