Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Temple and Kickin' Hot Chocolate

This past Saturday, a few friends and I escaped Provo for the day to visit the lights at Temple Square in Salt Lake City. It was a wonderful break from studying for finals. We left in the early afternoon and headed up to The Gateway, an outdoor mall in Salt Lake, where we ate dinner at California Pizza Kitchen.

My roommate, Jessi, and I, the kindred spirits that we are, saw FRIED MAC AND CHEESE on the menu and simply had to order it for an appetizer. I didn't really know what to expect, but this is a picture of it:

Freaking fried cheesy goodness. We got this chipotle chicken something or other pizza with salsa and yummy spicy sauce and Mexican food-like toppings and it was delicious. I was just so excited about the fried mac and cheese that I forgot to take a picture of it.

Ryan Hopkin might be the funniest person to go to a restaurant with. My favorite line of his of the night: "Oooh, bendy straws!"

Ed had to suck down a lot of water after dousing his pizza with habanero sauce. He tried to play it off like it wasn't spicy, but his eyes and nose were watering hehe.

Somebody (I can't remember who) hit their funny bone, so I launched into a lesson about what the funny bone actually is, and Ryan managed to snap a picture. Mostly this is just funny because it looks like I'm scratching Jess's nose.
Sidenote: The "funny bone" is actually not a bone. It's a nerve that runs between the humerus and the ulna in your elbow and when you hit your elbow, it pinches the nerve, causing that terrible sensation someone deemed "the funny bone."

This is the crew in front of the temple. You gotta love it when the person you randomly ask to snap a picture has no idea how to frame it up. Completely missed the temple...

Here is a better shot:

Left to right: Derek, Jessi, Vladi, Ryan, Ed, McCall, me, Nick Jones. Still didn't quite get the top of the temple, but much better than the last picture.

After we left Temple Square, we went to this quaint little chocolate store that Derek had heard about. Supposedly they had BOMB hot chocolate. I sampled the milk hot chocolate (which was to die for) but the real winner was the Aztec. It was milk hot chocolate with cinnamon and cayenne pepper! Basically, it was way good and just tasted like hot chocolate, but you got a nice kick in the back of your throat upon swallowing it. Sounds weird, but trust me, I will be adding cayenne pepper into every cup of hot chocolate I drink from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment